Tuesday, February 24, 2015

2nd Week in MTC - Letter and pictures from Elder Horton!

They say being at the MTC is like trying to drink out of a fire hydrant, I can testify that that is true. It takes a while to get over being homesick. But now I can honestly say that "I Love the MTC."  I started the week off as Moses parted the red sea.  I likewise parted my pants.  Thank goodness it only cost me $2 to "fix the crotch."  My Portuguese is coming along quite well as I teach 2 investigators here till I leave.  The lessons we teach are "Only Portuguese" and if you say an English word they just look at you and say "nao intente" (pronounced Naao Intengie) which means "I don't understand."  We had more snow this week and it was cold enough that it stayed on the ground and didn't melt this time. Some of these missionaries have never seen snow and were flipp'n out.  I see everyone wearing suits and super huge winter coats over them, and I'm over here in the snow with "only a suit" and in a "short sleeve."  Maybe I should have brought a jacket... where did my California weather go? I was told Brazil never gets cold, so don't bring a jacket... so that's what I did. 

I'm very excited to get to Brazil even just for the weather.  My district realized that someone in our group every time we sing is WAY off pitch, and it turns out that it's my companion....  I love the kid and at least he tries!  I watched "Meet the Mormons" the other night.  Now when I first saw this film, I'm not going to lie... I fell asleep 1/4 into the movie; But this time watching it I cried immensely.  That film is perfect and the last story at the end where the mom was sending her son off on a mission... I could definitely relate to this time!  I think the film had more meaning to me this time and at the MTC the spirit is so strong here.  You are just more spiritually open to things.  I would highly recommend the video to anyone that has not seen it!  It was "otimo" (pronounced Otcheemo) which means "awesome."  That's my favorite word.  Originally my favorite word was "que marvillha" (pronounced K marveela) which means "that's wonderful" but i quickly was informed that only gay people use that term in Brazil so I quickly fixed that problem.  Before I entered the mission I was not an emotional person at ALL!  But now after leaving my family and the strong spirit here you feel almost 24/7 ... I have turned into a big baby!  But it's a good thing!  I always have so much peace and joy from the spirit I feel and it's just overwhelming. It's so cool when all of the missionaries here get together for devotionals on Sunday and to hear everyone sing.  It's so strong and the power of music really sets in.  Although we have not had Thomas S. Monson or and general authorities come and speak to us so far. All of the lessons I have had here have been some of the greatest that I have definitely taken from and learned much.  Yes it's also nice here to take some stress out in the gym.  There is a bunch of sports, volleyball, basketball, etc., but you all know my first priority is the "weight room."  I have gained 6 lbs. of muscle in the past 2 weeks and I plan on gaining more!  I'm doing great now!  I appreciate all the love, emails, and prayers from all of you back home!  I hope you are all doing well!  I would love to hear from you!



My address to the MTC is:
Elder Brennen Tyler Horton
MAR23 BRA-FORE
2011 N 900 E Unit 201
Provo UT 84602

( THIS ADDRESS IS TEMPORARY! AFTER MARCH23RD I WILL NO LONGER BE IN THE MTC)

Elder Horton's Official Mission Tag

MTC Snow and dressed for Brazil Summers

"Elder Horton's MTC District"
From the back left, Elder Brennen Horton, Elder Nathan Kessel, Idahogrin emoticon, then Elder Quinn Greenwood from Arlington, TX, then Elder C.J. (Colin) Christiansen from Idaho Falls, then Elder Rhys Nelson from Mapleton, UT. From the bottom/first row starting on the left is Sister Ashlyn Unbedacht from Orem, UT, then Sister Sadie Andrews from Mesa, AZ, then Sister Nielson from Bountiful, UT, Sister Bredthauer from Bountiful, UT, and Elder Joseph Arnold from Cochran, GA.

Missionary Man!

Provo, UT Temple - gaining inspiration

Suit pants gave way in my first week- $2.00 fix

Attending Provo Temple just across from the MTC



No comments:

Post a Comment