Monday, July 6, 2015

21st Week Out, 1st week in Juazeiro, Fortaleza

Dear family and friends;


Things have been crazy!  Forgive me for my spelling because I no longer have time or auto spell.  I didn't get the opportunity to have a p-day last week because I left The MTC for Fortaleza the day of my P-day.

Anyways, I'm here now!  I was called to serve in Juazeiro!  For my first area, me and my companion will be opening up a new area!  It was a 400 mile trip to this area!  I was on the bus for 10 hours!  My companions name is Elder Huang.  He is Korean but lives in the U.S. (Chicago).   He does speak English, but only when I completely can't understand something, which happens a lot!

The language is definitely something I'm struggling with but I knew I would.  I know Heavenly Father will help me to learn the language in time, but for now I'm not understanding a lot.

Brazil is definitely a culture change!  We have big meals for lunch with members and then don't eat  dinner.  When I say big, meals I mean big!  We eat with 2 other sets of elders and a set of sister missionaries every day!  That's 8 missionaries, and they always stuff us!  They will always say "comi mais elder!" Its rude to not have seconds out here!  Most of the time they don't have enough seats for everyone so they will let all the missionaries sit around their small table and they will eat on the ground!

It's very poor out here!  Dinner is not a thing.  We can buy a snack but no one eats dinner.  Our house is apparently the nicest in the mission so I guess I lucked out.  We live in the house with 2 other sets of missionaries.  One set is our Zone Leaders and they are American, and the other are Brazilians.

I no longer have warm showers!  Cold showers are rough and I don't think I will ever get used to them! I also don't have a dryer here, so I have to dry my clothes on the line.  Everyone does it here.

I really love it here in Brazil though!  The people are so nice!  The work is moving fast in Brazil and we  have already set nine baptismal dates this week!

Houses out here are amazing.  No one has grass or front yards or back yards.  It's just a bunch of houses connected, and all the houses are no longer than two car lengths, so when you are walking, you will pass by two houses every second!  It's so beautiful because the sidewalks are made of broken tile or random things.  Every house is a different color, shape, size, quality.  It's beautiful and makes walking not a burden.  I must have walked 40 miles these last couple days but I love it!  By the end of the day I'm ready to go to sleep!  I can say that for sure!

I'm working so hard!  My Portuguese is improving so much.  I love my life.  I love all that I have.   This experience is definitely humbling me!

Thank you for all of your love and support!  I wish I had more time but I don't!

Impressions of Juazeiro, Brazil

  1. EVERYONE is catholic and I mean everyone
  2. Turns out they were teaching me Japanese in the MTC and not Portuguese. (Jk)
  3. No more paved roads!  All roads are made of crushed rocks and some type of cement.
  4. I walked into the supermarket for the first time and had no clue what I was looking at!

Rua Republica da Armenia 765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-CE
Brazil

(Note mail in Brazil is regulated as you might have heard, packages and even letters have a high chance of being opened if you do not cover the letter or package in pictures of Jesus and the Catholic Mary. Shipping takes about a month time sometimes longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment