Monday, July 27, 2015

24th Week Out, 4th week in Juazeiro, Fortaleza


Dear family and friends;

This week I had to give a talk in church for like 10 minutes because the speaker didn’t show up, but what makes it more stressful was that my mission president was in my ward this week and my Portuguese is still not the best! 

I’ve only been here 4 weeks and I had to speak "IN" Portuguese in front of my mission president to my whole ward! But I feel great about the talk I gave and received many compliments.  

SO... we had 2 baptisms!  The first was a man we have been teaching.  We had to prepare him for his baptism so we taught him 3 lessons in 1 day!  His name was very difficult for me to remember!  Joao Tripitinos Dosantos Neto.  I wasn’t going to baptize him.  We had a member lined up to baptize him, but 10 minutes before the baptism he bailed on us.  My companion was like, "You’re going to baptize Joao Neto!"  That one definitely caught me off guard because I had not yet memorized the baptismal ordinance in Portuguese!  I quickly memorized it in the 8 minutes I had before the baptism.  I then had the spiritual experience of baptizing Joao Neto.  The other is Vinicius, who we had a member baptize.  (The baptisms were on separate days.)

This week me and my companion also had the wonderful opportunity of bringing a less active back to church, Antonio, who is 19 years old.  Antonio stopped going to church a little over 8 months ago.  We found him in his home.  At first he had no desire to come back, but in a couple visits, we helped him to feel the spirit that testifies to us that this church is true and I know he felt it.  Antonio came back to church this Sunday for his first time.  As he sat next to me in sacrament he started crying.  He was overwhelmed with that sweet spirit.  I put my arm around him and told him how much Heavenly Father loved him, and that I knew... in that moment, he was feeling the holy ghost.  I told him that he made the right choice in coming back to church.

Brothers and sisters the Holy Ghost is real.  It testifies to us when things are true.  I feel it every day. It’s a feeling that’s hard to describe but you can’t miss it!  I Love this feeling.  It truly does bring me all the joy and peace I have in my life!  I KNOW this church is true because of this feeling.  I love you all and thanks for your love and support!

Impressions of Juazeiro

  1. When you don’t have a car or a motorcycle, use a horse! lots of people have horses pulling a trailer that they use for transportation.
  2. The streets here have more motorcycles than cars, but they’re not like motorcycles because those are expensive! everyone has a cheap dirt bike motorcycle.
  3. Brazilians are huge with their bread! there is Pao ( bakery’s) on like every street! and gosh dang-it it's so cheap and good and tempting!

Address:
Rua Republica da Armenia 765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-CE
Brazil


(Note mail in Brazil is regulated as you might have heard, packages and even letters have a high chance of being opened if you do not cover the letter or package in pictures of Jesus and the Catholic Mary. Shipping takes about a month time sometimes longer.


Joao Tripitinos Dosantos Neto

Vinicius

No comments:

Post a Comment