Thursday, July 23, 2015

23rd Week Out, 3rd week in Juazeiro, Fortaleza


Dear family and friends;

This week I did A LOT of walking!  My area is one of the biggest in the whole mission!  We were given directions to one of our lunch appointment this week and it went something like this; "Do you know where Minha Casa Minha Vida is?" (A project here where the government will build a group of homes and people in favellas or ghettos will win a lottery to stay in these homes.  The government provides for only like R$50.00 a month.)  Anyways she was like... "Well it’s your first left then you go down 9 streets and at the end of that road look for a green house."  Lots of people out here don’t have house numbers.  Anyways, we had to walk like 15 miles just to get to this Minha Casa Minha Vida and when we got there we tried to find the house and we couldn’t find it anywhere!  We walked up and down many streets knocking on all the green houses but we couldn’t find her.  We even ran into a green house with a woman with the "same name" but it wasn’t our member.  Also note we don’t have a phone so we couldn’t like call or anything.  We ended up running into the other missionaries who where just as lost as we were.  We went down the streets knocking on every door.  Many people gave us water because we were dripping sweat.  We eventually ran into a member who took us to the house we were looking for.

Transfer calls came this week and me and my companion are staying in our new area.  I’m so excited to see the work here grow as we are trying to be a Stake (we are only a District).  My me and my companion are focusing on looking for men to baptize to receive the priesthood.  Cool fact about a District is that you can’t have a Melchizedek priesthood holder in a District.  So our District President (like a bishop) and High Council don’t even have the Melchizedek priesthood.  Once we become a Stake were going to have like 30 men lined up to receive the Melchizedek priesthood, that is if we can become a Stake.  Once you're a Stake, the stake will never leave, but Districts can dissemble.

This past Sunday my companion and I brought a family to church.  They stayed though all the meetings and loved it.  They are not married but here in Brazil that is something you find quite often.  You will have a family living together where the parents are not married because they couldn’t afford it.  So we have to marry them before we can baptize them.  I hope that things continue with this sweet family. They have a boy and 2 little girls.

Brothers and sisters every day I get to see something new.  Every day I get to see the spirit work through ME.  I can’t explain how great it is, but I love my life the Lord has given me, and for this short time I have to serve the people around me.  I love you all and thanks for all your love and support!

Impressions of Juazeiro

  1. Sao Geraldo (a type of drink) is huge here because it’s produced here, and it’s my favorite! And very cheap! Better than Guannana which is also BOMB
  2. EVERY singe meal with members I eat beans and rice, they are starting to grow on me!
  3. The people here are so much nicer than in the US. EVERYONE says Boa dia,  boa tarde,boa noite, etc. ( have a good day) and will give you a thumbs up with a smile. like I said people will see you in the streets sweating and will ask you "can I get you some water"? when they have nothing.

Address:
Rua Republica da Armenia 765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-CE
Brazil

(Note mail in Brazil is regulated as you might have heard, packages and even letters have a high chance of being opened if you do not cover the letter or package in pictures of Jesus and the Catholic Mary. Shipping takes about a month time sometimes longer.





No comments:

Post a Comment