Thursday, July 23, 2015

22nd Week Out, 2nd week in Juazeiro, Fortaleza

 Dear family and friends;

This week made me love Brazil even more!  The food here is amazing!  Man we eat sooooooooo well.  I can honestly say the food here in Brazil is WAY better than in America!  You all are missing out and I’m sorry for your loss!

This week I went on an exchange for 3 days in Elder Donis´s area because my companion Elder Huang had to go to Fortaleza for Visa problems.  Elder Donis is 18 years old, and he’s almost been out on his mission for a year.  He is Hispanic so he didn’t speak any English.  It was a good experience for me to learn Portuguese because my companion does speak English sometimes.  Also, I have 2 other missionaries in my home that speak English, but in elder Donis`s home they are all Hispanic and speak no English.  His area is a lot poorer than my area.  We had lunch in this one members home and they had nothing.   There was holes in their roof; they had basically no furniture; but despite everything they prepared a meal for us in their small kitchen and it wasn’t much.  I felt so terrible because she had 7 children to feed.

When you eat at members homes here in Brazil, they always let you get food first.  They will drink water and let you drink all the juice/soda that they have.  They will let you sit around their table if they have one, and they will sit on the ground.  So at this particular lunch, all the other Elders took a lot of food, and their's was like none... left so I took just a little.  I really never realized how much I had until I came here.  In Brazil, people will make around R$15,000 which is only $5,000 when you convert it to American dollars.  That’s nothing, but people live of it here, somehow.  Also out here in Brazil they really make anything you can think of.  Everyone’s house is usually converted into a shop or a workplace where they create fake jewelry, cheap watches, etc.

This week we had a meeting with our District President about our area becoming a Stake.  We are not a stake right no, just a district.  It's amazing to see the work and how fast it is moving out here and that I get to be a part of it!

I love my life and thank you for all of your love and support!

Impressions of Juazeiro Brazil

  1. I use the train out here for transportation sometimes and the windows are ALL cracked because kids throw rocks at it when it goes through town.
  2. In Brazil if you live in America your pretty much rich because of the exchange rate.
  3. when I walk around the streets of Brazil, little kids come up to me all the time and say Fala Ingles! (speak English)

Address:
Rua Republica da Armenia 765
Agua Fria
60821-760 Fortaleza-CE
Brazil

(Note mail in Brazil is regulated as you might have heard, packages and even letters have a high chance of being opened if you do not cover the letter or package in pictures of Jesus and the Catholic Mary. Shipping takes about a month time sometimes longer.








No comments:

Post a Comment